Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Beet Risotto and Other Eats

I am so excited about this beet risotto that I made last week:


When we were in Halifax I had beet risotto at a restaurant called The Bicycle Thief.  I couldn't stop thinking about this amazing dish, so I decided to recreate it at home.  I'll write down more exact measurements the next time I make this, but basically, this is what I did ...


I started by cooking up a bit of garlic and white onion in olive oil on low-medium for a few minutes.  Then I added one julienned beet, and cooked that until softened.  I seasoned it a bit with salt, and then tossed in 1 1/4 cup arborio rice, and stirred that around for about a minute.  I added 1/2 cup of white wine, and let that absorb, then added heated chicken broth (approx. 1 L) a little at a time, letting it absorb before adding more, stirring constantly until the rice was almost cooked.  Once it was about five minutes from being done, I stirred in a couple handfuls of arugula, and seasoned to taste with salt and pepper.  In the last couple minutes I gave it a dash of heavy cream, and stirred in about 3/4 cup grated Asiago.  I topped it with crisp bacon

Christopher came home to this gorgeous dish, and he was not disappointed.  It was just like we had in Halifax, and totally hit the spot.


We are so happy that it's BBQ weather, and have been taking full advantage of it.  We made maple-glazed, pepper-crusted salmon recently and served it up with kale salad and sweet potato.


It was so good, that we were craving salmon again days later.  We did a simpler version with potatoes, and an arugula/ tomato salad, with a homemade creamy avocado dressing.


Other dishes we've been making include bee bim bop, and dak galbi, two of our favourite Korean meals.


Tonight we're having a really easy dinner - Dr. Oetker Ristorante veggie pizza, and a salad.

What have you been cooking lately?  Do you like beets?  Risotto?  Have you ever had beet risotto?

1 comment:

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

This week has been such a blur that I had to really think about what I cooked. And then I realized I haven't cooked and that we've been eating leftovers all week! The last meal I made was burgers on the grill with an Indian-spiced cauliflower and potato side dish which was soooo good and green beans that I froze from our garden last year. Tonight I'm making a vegetarian chili that has pumpkin in it - I think it will be good! And tomorrow night we are making steak kabobs on the grill!

I love beets and I love risotto so this dish is right up my alley. I can't wait to plant my garden in May. I had such great luck with beets last year - they were delicious!!!!!