Sunday, April 1, 2012

Dinner Party at Friends' House & Allergic Reaction

On Saturday night we went to a dinner party at our friends' Jeff and Alaina's house.  Alaina cooked while we cracked open some bevvies.

 

We nibbled on an incredible baked brie dish with mushrooms and caramelized onions.  I could have eaten the entire thing myself - it was sooooo good!

 
 

I admired their herb growing thing and made a mental note that I need one. 


We mingled for a while, made fun of our friend Chris' crappy wine selection (sweet red - blah!), dumped the crappy red and cracked some better stuff before making our way to the table.


Our taste buds were entertained with a shrimp cocktail in a rose sauce, and ravioli with homemade pesto and a tomato sauce.  

 

Unfortunate part of the evening ...

Immediately after eating the pesto my mouth became incredibly itchy and I started to get severe pain in my stomach.  Since this happened to me once before and I had some suspicions as to what may have caused it, we were able to narrow it down to the pine nuts that were in the pesto.  I have never had any allergies, but I now know that I am definitely allergic to pine nuts.  The pain continued for the rest of the evening and was accompanied by nausea.  I wasn't able to eat much of the rest of the meal, but I did get a good taste of everything and it was excellent.  We had to leave pretty early and when I got home my nausea was quickly relieved by a 5 minute chat with the toilet.  Bleh.

Following the appetizers we had salad, green beans, beef stroganoff on egg noodles, and French bread (homemade by the lovely chefs).  

 
 
 

Dessert was a sticky toffee pudding.  This was mmmmmm mmmmm good!  I only had a few bites as I was starting to feel very queasy by this point, but the hubby happily devoured what I left behind.


We left soon after dessert was done, and felt really bad to have to leave the party early.  About half an hour after we got home and I got sick, and then I was fine.  Stupid pine nuts!  At least I know now and will be careful to avoid them from now on.

How was your weekend?  Do you have any allergies?

9 comments:

suki @ [Super Duper Fantastic] said...

Yikes! I'm only slightly allergic to some foods, but very allergic to tree pollen. Don't think I will be consuming that any time soon! :P

I've made pesto with pistachios before instead of pine nuts. Tastes just as good, so now that you know you have the allergy, you can make different kinds of pesto. :)

Simply Life said...

so sorry to hear you had this reaction but I bet it's good to know exactly what you're allergic to!

mymarblerye said...

that sucks that you are allergic to pine nuts! pesto and pine nut hummus is amazing. at least you narrowed it down now!

Anne Marie said...

Oh goodness! I'm glad you narrowed it down! I'm allergic to cheese curls (weird, right?)

Kacy said...

Gah, sorry about that. Sounds awful.

I'm highly allergic to trees/grass, but I don't have any food allergies. Although, I tend to get a migraine easily after eating salty food. Happened yesterday and it was no fun.

Hope you're feeling better and all the food looks great!

Alli said...

The food looks amazing, but I'm sorry to have to welcome you to the food allergy club. Yuck.

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Oh bummer. :( I am glad that you figured out what the culprit was, but that just sucks. Sounds & looks like an amazing meal!!

I don't have an allergies, but I have a gluten intolerance. People think it is an allergy, but there is technically a different between an allergy and an intolerance... but I usually don't feel like explaining it so sometimes just say I am allergic to gluten if I don't want to get into it!

Kelly said...

Darn those nuts! Looks like a great dinner party !!!

sophia said...

oh no!! I'm so sorry about the allergic reaction...that sounds horrible, esp when the food looks so incredible. pine nuts, eh? At least you pinpointed it out now!