Saturday, April 7, 2012

Back, Back in the New York Groove

Friday morning a cab picked us up around 5:30 to take us to the airport for our 7:37 flight.  After checking our luggage we picked up breakfast at the airport cafeteria.  It was nasty.  I ate about half of this sandwich and then slept the 2 hours to Chicago.


 We picked up Jamba Juice in the Chicago airport just in time to board our flight to NYC.  


On the flight I checked out the "Sky Mall" magazine, which always amuses me.  Need more protein in your diet?  How about 15 grams in your ketchup!!!?  Seriously.  Do people buy this stuff?


Check out the name of the president of sky mall ...


Luckily I was able to sleep the rest of the way until we touched down in Brooklyn.  We immediately found a taxi and headed to our hotel to check in.

 
 

The bed is a little small (supposed to be a queen ... doesn't look like it!), but the WiFi is free, so I will deal.  Our friends Emma and Dalton were at the hotel already, and came to our room to get us after we showered.  I snapped a quick photo while we waited for the elevator.


We wandered around the upper west side for a bit before settling in for dinner at Trattoria dell'arte.  

 
 
 

We ate at this restaurant last year, and loved it, so we were happy to be back.  The service is spectacular.  It is rated #4 on Trip Advisor's picks of where to eat in NYC, and well deserves the high rating.


The olive oil that is served with the bread has so much flavour.  It is the best I have ever had.

 

We shared a pepperoni and arugula pizza to start.  It is ginormous, but really, really thin, so it was the perfect amount for 4 to share. 


My entree was the carbonara, of which I ate about half.  I LOVED the fried egg on top with the runny yolk.


We wandered around Times Square after dinner ... saw a guy doing chin ups and push ups in the crowd of people ...


We spent the rest of the evening at a pub taking in some live music.  We were a bit disappointed to find out that it was cover music, but they did play classics like No Diggity, Doo Wop (That Thing), and Waterfalls.

We stopped for a cookie on the way back to the hotel and called it a night.


What have you been up to this weekend?  What is your favourite 90s song to dance to?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

you have no idea how jealous I am!!!

Ally's Sweet and Savory Eats said...

Your weekend looks WAY more exciting than mine! I have never been to NYC...someday!

Kacy said...

I can't wait to go back to NYC. Looks like a great weekend.

Alli said...

Your satying on the UWS? That's my neighborhood! I wish I had known earlier and I would've given you even more foodie (and beer and wine tips). Next time.

Hope you had a great time and that my city treated you right.

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Looks like you are having so much fun. That's great that you are traveling with another couple! I remember you posting about that restaurant last year. Sounds amazing!

My weekend was good. I spent part of it at my parents' lake home, which was wonderful.

I can't think of a favorite 90s song to dance to! But this weekend I played old mix cds and found a cd w/ some Blessid Union of Soul on it, which was quite a high school flash back!

Alaina said...

Looks like you're having lots of fun. Hope all of the food tastes as good as it looks.

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a fantastic weekend! Please don't judge - I love dancing around to Barbie Girl! LOL

Allysia said...

Ahh, New York! Looks like a blast thus far. And I remember Jamba Juice was everywhere in the states, but after a day of flights and buses, few things are more appealing than veggie juice! Have a great trip!

Row said...

NYC rocks... love the pics! Btw, that is an amazing-looking carbonara!

Ameena said...

I used to love Trattoria del Arte...but then somehow the prices became exorbitant and the food quality declined. Maybe I need to try it again?