Monday, October 9, 2017

Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving to all my Canadian readers!  I hope everyone had a wonderful long weekend with loved ones, and of course tasty food.

Our long weekend started out with a trip to Saskatoon.  We arrived around 8:00 p.m. on Friday night, and went for dinner to Spicy Garden, before heading back to the hotel to crash.


After an early breakfast the next morning, we spent the rest of the day with my mom.  She was happy to see us, and especially happy that we brought pancakes with us.  For a woman of about 85 lbs. her appetite is astounding.


On Saturday evening we tried a new Korean/ Japanese restaurant called Sticks and Stones, which is one of a few restaurants owned by the Top Chef Canada winner, Dale Mackay.

We started with the S&S fries, and some Korean fried chicken.


The fries were not actual fries, but were halved mini potatoes.  The fried chicken was super crispy, sticky, and flavourful.


I had the spicy ramen, which was really good, although it didn't have as much broth as I would have liked.


Christopher had some bulgogi steamed buns, and a trout roll.

We got our usual breakfast again on Sunday before heading back to my mom's care home, where we spent the rest of the day.  


Once back home on Sunday evening we were pretty wiped, and just made a frozen pizza for dinner.  We were happy that we didn't have to work today, and could sleep in a bit.

This morning Christopher made a late breakfast, and we got some work done around the house and yard.


This breakfast held us over until turkey dinner tonight.  We headed to Christopher's parents' place around 3:00, and snacked a bit until dinner was ready around 5:00.


Yummmmmm!


I ate every bite of this scrumptious meal:


It was nice to visit with family and see our adorable little nieces; they are just too sweet!


We sure are fortunate to have so many wonderful people in our lives, who we love to bits.  We have so much to be thankful for, and we try to make a point of not taking any of it for granted.  

How was your weekend?  Was it a long weekend for you?  If you're Canadian, how did you celebrate Thanksgiving?

3 comments:

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Sounds like a great weekend with your mom! Her appetite reminds me of my grandma's appetite. She is also probably under 100 pounds but that woman can eat!!

Your turkey dinner looks amazing. Thanksgiving is one of my favorite meals of the year, especially when we go to my side of the family as my mom and siblings are SO into cooking and they really enjoy it. Phil's mom isn't very into cooking. So I asked if I could host some of the holidays in the future since I enjoy it so much more and she was on board with that!

Our weekend was kind of busy as we had dinner plans on Thur and Fri night and then hosted my nephews on Saturday. Sunday was more low key, though, which was just what I needed. I leave today for a work trip to Chicago and get back late Friday night. The month of October is going to fly by for me. It's one of my favorite months so I want to soak up the fall colors when I am back next week because the following week we go to Asheville for a vacation!

Amber said...

I had two thanksgiving dinners this weekend but unfortunately I got food poisoning from the first one on Saturday night and ended up puking my guts out all night :( We think it was the ham. So I was a little wary at my Sunday night dinner and mostly stuck to sides and a small helping of turkey!

Your food all looks amazing as usual - glad you got to spend some time with your mom!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I've been reading your blog for a while now and finally got
the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from Austin Tx!

Just wanted to mention keep up the fantastic job!