Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Well, I thought it was Spring ...

Just when I thought winter skipped us over this year ...


Yesterday morning there wasn't a flake of snow on the ground, and this morning we have more snow than we had all winter.  I opened the back door to this:


And then it continued to snow for at least a few more hours.

It's okay though.  There are plus-temperatures in the forecast, and in three sleeps we're headed south to Louisiana.  We are SO excited!

We didn't want to buy groceries this week, and instead wanted one meal that we could eat all week, so we roasted a turkey on Sunday.

 

We figured we'd have enough food from the turkey and stuffing to last us until we leave for our trip.  Hot turkey sandwiches were on the menu for dinner on Sunday evening:


Turkey sandwiches with stuffing and Swiss Chalet sauce tonight:


We had some potatoes, onion, and an opened pack of bacon that needed to be used up.  I cooked up the onions in a touch of butter, then added chopped bacon and cooked that a while on the stove.  Then I added diced raw potatoes and cooked that for about 10-15 minutes before transferring everything to the oven for an hour.


This will make a nice side dish for our turkey, or it can be warmed up and topped with an egg for a quick little breakfast.


I used more stuff up from the fridge by making grapefruit, carrot, cucumber, celery juice.  I love the bright colour, and the taste is even better.  Hellllllo nutrients!


And just because we didn't buy groceries, doesn't mean my sweetheart doesn't get dessert.  I made him some puffed wheat squares, because we had all the ingredients on hand.


How is your week going so far?  
Does it feel like Spring where you are? 

1 comment:

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

We woke up to snow on Saturday morning. At first I thought I was losing my mind when I looked out the window and saw a white world because I didn't realize it was going to be snow! And now we are supposed to get some snow today, although it will probably only be 2". It should melt fast, though, as the temps have been mild here as well.

I love the feeling of using up ingredients I have on hand! looks like you've come up with some tasty meals!!