Sunday, July 8, 2012

Summer Lovin'

Summer holidays allow me to spend the day cooking and baking ... usually for others.  I made a delicious strawberry rhubarb pie last week with rhubarb that I picked up at the farmers' market.  It was my first time making pie crust, and I was very happy with how it turned out.

 
 
 
 

This was enjoyed for dessert after a lovely dinner with friends.  


We started the evening with pico de gallo, guacamole, jalapeno yogurt dip and chips.


This was followed by empanadas.  I made the meat mixture earlier in the day and then filled some puff pastry and baked them ... mmmmmmmm!

 
 

After empanadas we moved on to a black bean chipotle soup.  This spicy soup was garnished with a squeeze of lime, cilantro and sour cream.


The main course was poblano pepper crepes filled with pibil pork.  The pork marinated for a few hours before I tossed it in the oven to slow cook.  


I then made crepes and filled them with the pork and some Gruyere cheese.  

 

Once wrapped, the crepes were topped with a poblano pepper cream sauce and baked until hot.  I served a spinach salad on the side.  These crepes were even better as leftovers the next day, and definitely the best thing I ate all weekend.


Finally, we had dessert.  Red wine chocolate cake, strawberry rhubarb pie, and M&M cookies.


This was just one of many dinners I plan to share with friends over the summer.  The wheels are also turning for a wine and cheese party in the near future ... oooooh, I love summer!

How was your weekend?  What was the best thing you ate all weekend?  Do you plan on hosting anything this summer - dinner?  BBQ?  Brunch?


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You throw the best parties! The best thing I ate all weekend was chocolate pie with whipped cream and chocolate shavings. It was amazing!

LoLy said...

WOW, looks heavenly good :D

Alli said...

Everything looks amazing. My colleague, whose parents are from Buenos Aires, sometimes brings in Argentinian empanadas and they are amazing. They're a mix of chopped meat, green olives, raisins, hard boiled eggs and seasonings and are baked not fried. Yum!

Why am I here??? said...

You are freakin' crazy. I can't believe you made all of that from scratch for FUN! All of it looks so delicioius I can't decide what I'd eat first. Yum...

Kacy said...

I sometimes think that the art of pie making is going to die with our generation, but you're proving me otherwise. That one looks perfect!

Allysia said...

Pie crust is...terrifying, but it looks like yours turned out great! That whole dinner looks beautiful, you really can't go wrong with Mexican food. One day I'll be brave enough to attempt making empanadas! And I'm intrigued by the red wine chocolate cake.

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

That all looks awesome! Nice work on your first pie crust!

The best thing I ate all weekend was this amazing meal that a personal chep made for us for my friend's bridesmaid dinner. He had cheese flown in from Italy for a panzanella (sp?) salad (and he made a gf version for me). But my fave dish he made was this purple corn dish with a jalapenos/truffle oil sauce. It was AH-mazing.

Anonymous said...

glad you had a wonderful summeR!!! From the eats to camping and times with friends...WOO HOO