Wednesday, January 23, 2019

What's Up Wednesday

It's windy and cold today, so the pot of chili we have simmering on the stove right now is going to be a wonderful, comforting dinner.  I pulled some buns out of the freezer; they'll be perfect for dipping.  When I was a kid I remember my parents always having buns and carrot sticks on the table when they served chili.  I loved combining all three into a sort of sandwich, haha!  It was pretty good.  I don't think I'll do that today, but I did chop up some carrots and put them into the chili, along with canned whole mushrooms, red pepper, olives, onion, garlic, and chipotle peppers.  Those things along with loads of spices, meat, and a variety of diced tomatoes make for a flavourful bowl of chili.


There will be a lot leftover, so we'll have a quick dinner before our Spanish class tomorrow night.

On the weekend we roasted a chicken, and then refrigerated the drippings.


The next day I scraped the fat off of the drippings, used a bit to make a roux, then discarded the rest of the fat and used the drippings to make gravy.  Meanwhile, Christopher was making his perfect, crispy French fries, and we threw it all together with cheese curds and some of the chicken in a poutine.


Christopher used the bones of the chicken to make a stock, and then he made a chicken noodle soup for our lunches for the start of the week.

We used the rest of the meat in enchiladas:


You can find the enchilada recipe here.

We had to to save room for dessert.  I had a pie dough in the freezer, so I thawed it out and whipped up a banana cream pie.  This is one of Christopher's new favourites ... and he's a pie connoisseur.

 

Another new favourite around here are green eggs!


Throw a few eggs and a giant handful of spinach into the blender, and then cooked up an omelette as usual - delicious!  The spinach doesn't really change the taste of the eggs much, especially not with cheese and other fillings, but it's a great way to get some extra greens in.

Hungarian hot pepper potatoes and bacon to top off our green egg breakfast:


Yes, I know how burnt my bacon looks.   

That's my meat candy - don't touch! 🤣

How was your weekend?  How's your week going so far?  Have you ever had green eggs?  What are you cooking this week?

1 comment:

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I've never had green eggs but that is a smart way to get some extra greens! I love spinach in my omelettes so I am sure I'd love green eggs, too.

We made a lentil soup and a chili over the weekend. It's been really cold here, too, and it's only going to get colder so soup sounds really good!

Our weekend was pretty low key which is just how I like it! We got a lot of cleaning and organizing done which always feels good. Well, maybe not WHILE you are doing but seeing the results is so satisfying! Our only plans for the weekend were going to my MIL's for lunch on Saturday. She made a spanish tortilla - Paul loved it!

Also, the way you cook your bacon is how i like it - the crispier, the better. I hate floppy bacon!