Monday, January 28, 2019

Weekend Things

Our plan was to leave for Saskatoon on Saturday morning, but when we saw the forecast on Friday, we decided to add a night to our hotel reservation and leave right after work.  We wanted to beat the incoming snow/rain storm.  After a quick coffee stop, we were on our way.

We arrived hungry and tired.  Dinner was at Jeju, which looked and sounded good, but wasn't great.


We ate quickly and then hit the hay.

On Saturday morning we stopped at Hometown Diner for breakfast.  It was absolutely packed, and super squishy, but the food was delicious!  I really enjoyed my veggie breakfast.


We spent the day with my mom, and Christopher braved the wind to go out and grab her some perogies for lunch.

That evening we went Scarlet for dinner.  I was disappointed in the chicken sandwich; it was hard and dry, and the potato bun did not fit.


We packed up most of the food and took it back to our hotel room.

After dinner we went to a VIP Evening with Hawksley Workman.


This was an incredible, intimate show.  Hawksley's voice is so powerful, and he really commands the stage.  We had a fantastic time!

After the show we walked for a couple minutes back to our hotel.

On Sunday the weather report was looking terrible.  We were planning on spending the whole day with my mom, but the highways were supposed to get worse as the day went on.  There was freezing rain, regular rain, insane winds, blowing snow, and a major drop in temperature expected for the day.  Lovely.

We had breakfast, and got pancakes and eggs to-go for my mom:


After visiting for a few hours, we left to head home around 2:00 p.m.  There were some pretty dicey spots on the highway, and quite a few periods of very low visibility, however it's a good thing we left when we did; by the time we got home (an hour later than we should have), travel was not recommended, there was a multi-car pile up, and there was zero visibility for a good chunk of the drive.  Highway travel in the winter is never fun, but these blizzards make it so much more treacherous.

I am so grateful that Christopher is such a good, and confident driver, and that he never makes me feel scared when he drives.  There were people flying down the highway in the low, low visibility, and I kept thinking that I couldn't imagine being in those vehicles - terrifying!  I don't understand what some people are trying to prove when they drive so fast in such dangerous conditions.  We were in the slow lane, going about 70 km the whole way ... but we got home safely.

Today was frigidly cold with brutal wind, and tomorrow is going to be even worse.  Our Havana trip can't come soon enough!

How was your weekend?  What did you do?  
Do you have to do much highway driving in the winter?

1 comment:

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I'm glad you guys made it home safely. Driving in those kind of conditions is terrifying. I'm glad Christopher is such a good and responsible driver. Phil is the same way. He does not take risks in the car and I never feel stressed when he is driving. That has not always been the case with guys I've dated, though! So I am glad I'm married to a good driver!

It was super cold here this weekend so we stayed in for most of the weekend. On Sunday we went to a birthday for our friends' son who turned 1. Then in the evening I got together with girlfriends to celebrate our birthdays. Our birthdays are spread out between Dec-Feb so we try to do a joint bday celebration. It had started to snow during dinner and it was super windy so the drive home was kind of stressful but I just took it slow.