Wednesday, July 19, 2017

What's Up Wednesday

This summer has been super hot so far, and I've enjoyed nice cooling breakfasts a couple of mornings this week.


We had picked up granola at the farmers' market on the weekend, and I've been using it in yogurt parfaits, along with mocha coconut quinoa, Greek yogurt with a few drops of liquid vanilla stevia, and fresh fruit (strawberries and Saskatoon berries).


This is my recipe for the mocha coconut quinoa:

Mocha Coconut Quinoa 
(use cold in yogurt bowls/ parfaits)

1/2 cup quinoa
3/4 cup coconut milk
1/3 cup water
2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
2 pinches cocoa
1 tsp instant espresso powder

Rinse quinoa in a fine mesh strainer.  Put quinoa, and all other ingredients in a small pot, and bring to a boil.  Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook 15 minutes.  If it's too soupy after 15 minutes, then give it another minute or two.  Remove from heat, leave covered, and let sit for a few minutes.  Once cooled, put in a container and keep in the fridge for use in delicious breakfasts. 

This will make quite a bit.  I had two parfaits, and Christopher's been eating the quinoa as is, along with a side of fruit for his breakfasts.

Enjoy!

Another cooling, refreshing thing I've been enjoying is iced tea from David's Tea.  I picked up a few packets of their iced tea blends, and made a peach one recently.


When Christopher came home for lunch on both Monday and Tuesday, I served up this Asian noodle bowl:


We were feeling noodly on Monday evening as well, so we made a Thai, beef noodle dish, with a red, coconut curry sauce.


We loosely followed this recipe.  The leftovers were lunch today.

And, I'll leave you with this cute lil' guy:


When we were at Bulk Barn on the weekend we saw chocolate-covered, banana gummy bears!  We had never heard of such a thing, so we had to buy a few to give them a try.  They're pretty good as far as candy goes (I'm not a candy person).

How's your week going so far?  Is it hot where you are?  
Do you like candy? Gummy bears?

1 comment:

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Those noodle dishes look AMAZING! That is my kind of meal! The only meal I made this week is zucchini boats with some of the zucchini from my garden. They are soooo good. We stuffed them with chicken sausage, onion, red pepper, and marinara, topped with parmesan and asiago cheese. But you can stuff them with anything. I see lots of these in our future as my zucchini is growing like CRAZY. I also made a coffee cake-flavored zucchini bread to bring to my parents lake home this weekend. Mmmm, so good!

It's been hot here lately, too, but we did have a day of somewhat cooler weather as storm moved through. We are heading to the lake today and then I'll be back up there for part of the week next week and the forecast is looking perfect!