Saturday, January 4, 2014

Trip to Saskatoon

The weekend following Christmas, we drove to Saskatoon to visit family and spend a couple nights in the Radisson downtown.  We were pleasantly surprised to see that a very kind soul had upgraded us to a pretty spectacular room:


We visited my mom Friday evening and were very hungry after, but it was late, and not much was open.  We got some Thai takeout and ate at the table in the hotel room.  


The next morning we didn't make it down to the hotel restaurant (Aroma) for breakfast, so instead ordered off of their lunch menu.  It was hard to choose what to order, as everything looked good, but I had the spaghetti with meatballs.


Christopher had a lobster grilled cheese with beet salad.  We were VERY impressed with this meal, and would order both dishes again.  I loved that the spaghetti sauce had a touch of cream or something in it, that just took it to the next level


We had dinner at my aunt and uncle's house, where we enjoyed hot turkey sandwiches (my favourite), and a great visit.  My aunt makes the best gravy, and she explained her method to me.  I'll try it out next time I make a turkey.


Late on Saturday evening we had a few snacks off of Aroma's late night menu.  We tried the potato and pork belly skins, and the organic beef tenderloin carpaccio.  Both were fabulous!


Before visiting my mom on Sunday morning, we ate a 3rd meal at Aroma, because we were just so impressed with the service and high quality of their food.


We had a nice visit, and then stopped for fancy coffees before making the drive back home.


When you stay in a hotel, do you usually eat there too? 
(We don't usually, except maybe for breakfast, but the food in this hotel is too good not to!)

4 comments:

culinary cool said...

That coffee certainly looks fancy! Love the cute little gingerbread men!!

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

That is so cool that you got upgraded! The welcome treat looked awesome! When I travel for work, I almost always end up eating at the hotel restaurant out of laziness and exhaustion. When traveling for fun, I rarely do unless it was known for having good food. Looks like you had some awesome meals!

Ally's Sweet and Savory Eats said...

What a fun weekend! I'd just be happy to stay in a hotel (it's been awhile)...but golly all your food looked awesome! Especially that garlic bread sitting on the marinara sauce:)

thewiildmagnola said...

too cute mooses on the whipped cream....