Thursday, January 10, 2013

Thursday Things

1)  For the months of November and December I was stopping at The Bulk Cheese Warehouse about once a week in order to purchase Limburger cheese.  After many failed shipments, the stuff finally came in and I bought the last package they had. The reason I was buying Limburger cheese ...  

Christopher has always wanted to try it since he saw the stinky stuff in cartoons as a child



Well, the Bugs Bunny cartoons don't lie.  This stuff is stiiiiinnnnnky

I did some research and the smell has been described by others as similar to:  body odor, flatulence, like it was ripened between the toes of a soldier who died of trench-foot, concentrated cat urine, like it ripened in a corpse's rectum (seriously, people describe it this way - I couldn't make this stuff up!). 

It really wasn't that bad.  It smelled about as bad as blue cheese smells.



The taste has been described as pretty horrific too, yet I thought it was rather mild, and similar to brie in terms of strength of flavour.  It was definitely much milder than any blue cheese I've had.  I quite like it, and would buy it again.

2)  I probably need this.  Right?  Okay, okay, I don't.  But it is pretty, and kind of "me".  Someday!

3)  I used to eat a grapefruit almost every night before bed, but haven't for a long while.  I had one last night, and it was awesome.  I know it's not the most popular of fruits, but I love grapefruit.



4)  The third epic snow storm of the winter is happening tonight and we still have about three months of winter to go.  Awesome.

5)  I love children's books (well, I love books in general) and have had a bit of nostalgic longing for a few that I had during my childhood.  I purchased this one the other day for under a dollar (with shipping it was closer to $7). 



6)  Socially unaware/ socially inconsiderate people infuriate me.  End rant. 

7)  Mornings have been rough this week as it was my first week back to work after a couple off ... and let's face it, mornings are always rough for me.  Consequently, I picked up breakfast on the way to work a few times this week along with my coffee.  There's no time to make breakfast when there is sleep to be had!



8)  Tonight we made seafood chowder again and enjoyed it with some focaccia bread dipped in balsamic vinegar and olive oil.  This recipe is really easy, and really good!  It's not "fishy" at all, and we used a frozen seafood medley from Costco.  Give it a shot!



9)  Speaking of focacccia ... I want to go back to San Fransisco again, JUST for the focaccia bread from Liguria Bakery.  I swear, this stuff will change your life.  Or your palate.  Something will change.

10)  I must say, 2013 is off to a great start.  I'm feeling pretty darn happy these days!  I'm looking forward to a hibernation weekend with good eats, drinks, movies, dance moves, conversation, and of course, the finest of company.  For now, I'm off to bed as I envision a 6:00 a.m. shoveling experience in my future.  G'night peeps!

Have you ever tried Limburger cheese?  What are you up to this weekend?  Hibernating like me?

5 comments:

Why am I here??? said...

I love that you bought a children's book. How fun!

Anonymous said...

I am with you, I actually prefer stinky cheese way more than your average cheddar.

Kacy said...

I don't think I've ever tried it, but now I want to.
Nothing too exciting this weekend. A movie tonight and then doing some wedding stuff tomorrow with the future in laws. Hoping for lots of sleep as well :)

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

I love that you love children's books. That's a really endearing quality, I have to say. :)

My weekend was ok. I was sad for most of it because of some likely changes coming down the road (my job is relocating me). I saw my boyfriends Fri and Sat nights which was great, studied a lot, went to a baby shower, and had lunch with friends. So I packed a lot in, but consequently do not feel all that refreshed...

Anonymous said...

Once it reaches three months, the cheese produces its notorious smell because the bacterium used to ferment Limburger cheese and many other smear-ripened cheeses[2] is Brevibacterium linens, the same one found on human skin that is partially responsible for body odor and particularly foot odor.

Not sure I want to try this but if someone served it I'd probably man up and try it at least once :)