We have started this first day of 2012 out well. We woke up at 9:30 feeling great, and made some of the best tea in the world that we got as a favour at our friends' summer wedding. Our buddy Matt knows his tea, and this stuff was great. We are on our 6th or 7th infusion at the moment.
Breakfast was a bowl of chocolate, banana, coconut macadamia oats, featuring 1/2 a packet of macadamia nut butter sent to me by the kind people at Artisana.
Yesterday, on New Years Eve, we had a fabulous day with friends. It was also my sister's 25th birthday! Happy Birthday Leah! We had breakfast at our friends' house, and enjoyed some of the best coffee in the world, Jamaican Blue Mountain.
After breakfast we came home and finished preparing for dinner. We had 2 couples over for a vegetarian New Years Eve dinner; some friends in town from California, and our friends Emma and Dalton who own the best
vegetarian restaurant restaurant in the city (which happens to be vegetarian).
I made savoury cream puffs which I stuffed with a beet, goat cheese and balsamic mixture.
Dessert included coconut red velvet donuts, and chocolate fondue (un-pictured):
After dinner I sipped on sparkling water and we visited until just after midnight before calling it a night.
It was a wonderful new years eve.
11 Goals for 2011 - How did I do?
1) Finish 4 more grad classes - I did 5, finishing all course work for my degree - PASS
2) Decide on the thesis topic and begin thesis research - Done and done, and I have been writing too - PASS
3) Make one new recipe per week (most weeks) - I made 78 new recipes this year - PASS
4) Read books for me (not just for school) - I didn't have time to do a lot of this - FAIL
5) Take a class just for me (not school related) - Nope, couldn't find anything in my city - FAIL
6) Host some new types of parties/meals - Hosted a shower & Stagette, but not a luncheon or tea party like I had wanted to - 50%
7) Give running one last fair shot - Epic Fail
8) Be productive this summer - I took a July class and worked on my sister's wedding - PASS
9) Go on two out of country trips - NY and Las Vegas - PASS
10) Do some home renovations - New front door, basement windows in, touched up paint, but didn't replace carpet in rooms like I had wanted to - 75%
11) Make sure that the hubby's 30th, Dad's 70th and sister's wedding are memorable - PASS!!
6 Goals for 2012
For the last couple of years I have made a number of goals based on the year (i.e. 10 in 2010, 11 in 2011). 2011 was an insanely busy year, and I had a lot on the go. I had to learn to say "no", which I am not very good at, and also had to stop trying to "do it all." It felt good. I plan on putting less pressure on myself this year. No lofty plans... I am just going to hang out and see where life takes me. I have come up with 6 fun and achievable goals that I look forward to achieving :-)
1) Finish my thesis and convocate with my 3rd degree before I turn 30
2) Read a bunch of books just for pleasure
3) Host a luncheon and tea party
4) Travel out of North America
5) Drink more water
6) Have an epic 30th birthday party!
What is something fun that you want to do in 2012?