Sunday, January 20, 2019

Last Week's Eats

I always save these little booklets that come inside of Food Network Magazine, but rarely make anything from them.


The one in the latest issue really caught my eye, as I love things with oats in them.  I was flipping through it and thought that the loaded overnight oats sounded great.  I have made overnight oats before, but figured I'd give this recipe a shot.  They were yummy - kind of reminded me of cookie dough, but not as sweet.


Loaded Overnight Oats
(Food Network Magazine Pull Out)

1/2 cup rolled oats
2/3 cup milk
1/3 cup plain yogurt
1 T ground flax seed
1 T nut butter
1 T mini chocolate chips
2 tsp brown sugar
pinch salt
pinch cinnamon

Mix all and refrigerate overnight.  In the morning top with any combination of: raisins, coconut, fruit, nuts, seeds ... enjoy cold.


I ended up eating the one batch for two breakfasts last week.  I then made another batch for another two days, and had this on Friday morning:


Bananas are better with toppings!

I had leftovers for lunch each day last week.

For dinner on Monday evening we cooked pork noodles.  We still use this recipe, although we use udon noodles (4 packs), and double the sauce:


Then cover it with a bunch of sriracha:


Tuesday's dinner was zuppa toscana soup:


My sister recommended this, and we really enjoyed it.  One pot, easy and quick - perfect for a weekday dinner.

On Wednesday evening we had leftovers before heading out to the theatre to see Bohemian Rhapsody.  The movie was fantastic!  We both loved it, and were blown away by how incredible Rami Malek was as Freddy Mercury.  This is the first movie I've seen in a while that I want to go back and see again, just days later.

After cleaning the house on Thursday evening, we sat down at the table to enjoy roasted chicken thighs with fennel and orange.  This dish is so flavourful, and pairs really well with brown rice.


The orange is incredible in there - peel and all!


Vegetarian pita pizzas for an easy dinner on Friday night:


Friday was freezing cold, so we were glad we could get cozy after dinner, and not have anywhere to be for the rest of the weekend.

What was the best meal you ate last week?  
Did you cook anything new?

1 comment:

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Mmm, now I'm craving zuppa tuscana. I need to make that next week. It's such a yummy, hearty soup! I have a really good instant pot recipe for it which is super simple! It's ridiculously cold here, too. I hope this cold spell ends soon. This kind of weather is the worst!

We tried a new instant pot recipe last week that was really good. It was creole gumbo recipe and it was super yummy and easy to make. This week I'm trying another new instant pot recipe - this time it's a chicken and lentil dish with salsa verde. We have lots of salsa verde as I had another good batch of tomatillos last summer so I'm trying to find recipes that call for salsa verde!