Tuesday, December 11, 2018

Best of Bridge: Weekday Suppers

A while back I reviewed the Best of Bridge: Sunday Suppers cookbook, which we love!  When the people at Robert Rose offered to send me Best of Bridge: Weekday Suppers, I was excited to dive into it.


The recipes are all pretty quick and easy, but flipping through it, they didn't appeal to me as much as the Sunday Suppers did.  We ended up choosing three recipes to make.

First up was buffalo chicken quesadilla pie:


It was okay (better with sour cream on top), but not something we'd make again.  It wasn't very visually appealing either ...


We layered tortillas with a cheesy chicken mixture, and then baked it for 35 minutes.  The leftovers were better than the first day we had it.

Another dish we tried was baked sausage and pepper sandwiches with goat cheese and avocado.


The recipe didn't call for any sauce, so the goat cheese was the only spread on the sandwich, and we felt that it needed something more.


We ended up topping them with mustard and hot sauce to give them a bit more flavour.  Mushroom soup on the side rounded out our meal.


The third recipe we made was no-bake chocolate oat squares.  I found the recipe really weird, and wasn't so sure about it while making the squares.  I didn't think they were going to turn out, and felt like the recipe could have used more oats.


I was wrong.  After cooling them, they cut really well, held together well, and tasted quite good.


They are a nice combination of peanut butter, chocolate and oats.  I'll probably make them again. 

You can find the recipe for the oat squares here.

There are loads of recipes in this cookbook, and we only made three of them, so we're still going to pick others to try and really get a feel for it.  But, as of now, I don't think this book is as good as Best of Bridge: Sunday Suppers, and few of the recipes are catching my eye.

What is the last new recipe you tried?

* The cookbook was provided to me free of charge.  All opinions are my own.

1 comment:

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Bummer about the recipes not turning out as good as you had hoped! I'm glad the dessert turned out well, though!

I'm trying to remember the last time I made a new recipe... Hmmm... I have been in a rut of making the same things over and over again but I have so many recipes in my recipe binder that I can still keep things interesting, even with all the repeats! One recipe I WANT to make is GF cinnamon rolls. I sent the recipe to my mom to see if she wanted to make them over Christmas. She's a baking pro and doesn't get intimidated by things, unlike me. Ha. GF baking is so touchy so I'd rather have a pro helping me out! Hopefully they turn out because I LOVE cinnamon rolls - especially warm out of the oven!