Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Sweet Summer

This summer has been full of simple pleasures, and I can't wait to see what else the rest of summer will bring.

Last week we walked over to our friends' house for a casual Monday evening visit, and some snacks on their deck.


It was so nice to spend time with Matt and Alissa, and the eats were delicious.  We love having friends so close.


Today is our niece Elizabeth's birthday.  We celebrated with family on the weekend.


Another niece, Remi, had a birthday yesterday, and we'll be celebrating with family tomorrow.  Since many of the little people in our lives have summer birthdays, it means we get a lot of family time in the summer, which is really nice.

Another sweet thing about this summer was finding these guys on the patio one morning:


Christopher's parents gave us some rhubarb, which we froze for use at a later date, and these Juliet cherries from their yard.  I had never worked with these before, and couldn't find any recipes for this type of cherry, but I love a challenge.  The first thing I made was a galette.


I had about 3/4 of a cup of cherries left, so I thought I'd make BBQ sauce with them.  We had picked up wild boar ribs from the farmer's market, and I think fruit pairs well with pork, so I went with it. 

This is the recipe I came up with:

Juliet Cherry BBQ Sauce

- 3/4 cup pitted Juliet cherries
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 T Worcestershire sauce
- 2 T brown sugar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- dash or two hot sauce
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp mustard powder
- a few dashes of liquid smoke

Blend the cherries until smooth.  Combine them with the rest of the ingredients.  Simmer for a minute or two, then cool.


It tasted great on the ribs!


Other tasty summery eats have included farmer's market peas and carrots:


And a tomato burrata salad:


One of the sweetest days of all was this past Saturday.  We sat in the yard all afternoon and evening.  We read, visited, had a fire, made s'mores, and soaked in the most beautiful day.  I hope for a few more days like that before summer is over.

What is something "summery" that you did recently?

1 comment:

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Your MIL's handwriting on the bag of cherries is BEAUTIFUL!! That's artist-level handwriting!

We've been enjoying summer here, too. Having a child makes me slow down and plan less, which is good for me. We've gone on lots of walks, gone to the park quite a bit, the pool and the zoo. We also have a water table so we set that up in the afternoon. Our backyard is very shaded which is so nice as we don't have to worry about reapplying sunscreen!

I have not had a smore yet but I am hoping we have some when we are up at the lake in August!