Sunday, January 14, 2018

Veggies!

Since getting home from Mexico, we've been loading up on veggies.  We got groceries last Saturday evening once home, and then had a big salad for dinner that evening.

Last Sunday Christopher was excited to get into the kitchen and make breakfast.  Whenever we're away, we always miss cooking.


I was happy that our poinsettia was still alive (it's been over a month now) - yay!  Poinsettias are definitely the best bang-for-your-buck when it comes to flowers.  They are so lovely, and are easy to keep alive for a long time.

Have you seen cauliflower "rice"?  We found some at the grocery store, and made a delicious fried-rice-like dish with it for lunch last Sunday.


Christopher isn't really a fan of cauliflower, but he liked this dish a lot.  It took on the flavour of the other ingredients we used.  It made a good substitute for rice, for anyone looking to reduce carbs (we aren't, but are always trying to increase our vegetable intake).

We also got a pot of chicken bones and veggies simmering on the stove, to make stock for chicken soup.  The chicken soup was our lunches for the start of last week, and I made a veggie quiche to have for breakfasts.


Dinner last Sunday was veggies with salmon.


All week we had different grain-based bowls.  I'll be doing a separate post about those.

Dinner tonight - more salad!


Ugh, this dull winter lighting is making me sad.  I hate to take photos in the house on winter evenings.  It's dark when we're eating breakfast, and dark when we are eating dinner.  Also, it's still freezing cold around here.  I am longing for the days when I can photograph outside, or at least have bright, natural light well into the evening.  I am longing for backyard time, and BBQing ... unfortunately there is still plenty of winter ahead.

How was your weekend?
Have you ever had cauliflower "rice"?
Are you longing for Spring already?

1 comment:

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

We have had cauliflower rice and I really like it. I tried it for the first time when I did whole 30 a couple of years ago. Phil was surprised to find that he liked it, too. I need to start using that as a rice substitute as my body is so sensitive to carbs so it would be a better base for stir fries and such.

I am also soooo over winter and it's only mid-January. :( We usually go somewhere warm around my birthday in Feb to get away and get some vitamin D but that is not happening this year obviously. It is going to warm up here this week, though, and I can't wait. I just hate being cold and all the dark weather is just depressing!