Thursday, November 3, 2011

Not San Fransisco

I did not get on a plane today and head to San Fransisco for the Foodbuzz Festival.  Although I had been planning to, and enjoyed myself so much last year, it just didn't work out this year.  I wasn't willing to pay $1800 for two days in San Fransisco, and couldn't seem to find a hotel/flight deal that was reasonable. I was willing to spend about $1200, and since I also had to lose a days pay at work, I figured that I should give myself a limit on what I would spend for this trip.  Usually I would just spend the extra, but I see no need to be frivolous ... Also, I am actually not too sad to miss out, because two of my best bloggy friends that I hung out with last year are not going to be there either.  Perhaps I will see them there next year :-)

The hubby told me he wanted to take me out for a fabulous dinner tonight to make up for the good festival food I have to miss out on this weekend.

We went to one of the nicest restaurants in the city - The Creek Bistro.


We had some wine and 2 appetizers.  

One of the appetizers was a cheddar chili cheesecake with local black lentil "caviar".  We also had escargot stuffed mushrooms, prawns, and a polenta caprese salad bite.


My main course was a strip loin with scallops and a chipotle butter with seasonal vegetables and frites.


After dinner we got lattes at Starbucks and wandered around Chapters.  

It was nice to take a homework break and enjoy a nice evening out with the hubby - especially on a day when I thought I would be heading to San Fransisco.  

How much would you be willing to spend for a weekend away? (2 days, 2-3 nights)

The hubby and I went to Vegas in September for the weekend and paid only about $1200 for the two of us (for flight and hotel).  I thought that was a fantastic deal!

12 comments:

Lauren's Latest said...

$1200 for two in Vegas is a great deal! Blogging conferences certainly do add up!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga said...

Jolene I know how much you adored FBuzz last year and I am sad for you that you couldn't make it work$$ but I totally agree..that is wayyyyy out of range for a 48hour trip, give or take.

Last year even tho I live in CA, I seemed to pay a ton of cashola to travel there..not sure what I did wrong but yeah, I spent a ridic amount and I am not going this year.

I'll read the recaps from my google reader :)

Anonymous said...

Considering I just spent $380 for 10 days in San Fran... I don't blame you! Yes, I'm staying with family... maybe I could loan them out to you next year, haha.

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty said...

I would LOVE to have gone too, but your right, that's WAY too much to go for 2 nights... plus you know you'll spend extra too!!

Come to BC, maybe it's cheaper!? hehe :)

Simply Life said...

I have yet to go to a blogging conference but would love to!

Kacy said...

I"m definitely cheap when it comes to travel and want to get my money's worth. If I'm going to spend nearly two grand, I'd better get several days of vacation!
All the food looks great!

suki said...

Eesh, that is expensive! I don't blame you for not heading down this way. I think my limit is like $500 for everything... And I think I've still spent more. It's just plane AND hotel adds up. :( So when they ask for a lot for registration, that's just a... nope, can't do it.

Anonymous said...

can we make a pact to go together next year?

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

That meal looks amazing!! I never really set aside a budget for a trip, I have price limits in mind for the flight and hotel, but that's about it usually. For a weekend trip, I would say my budget would be around $800 if I had to fly there, but lower if I was able to drive (which is rarely the case). When I went on that spa weekend in July, besides the cost of gas, we all spent a total of $250, which I think is not very much considering that included the room, an afternoon of spa services, and 2 meals out. Granted, we got a big deal on the room & spa services as my best friend knew a guy in reservations. So we totally lucked out as it would have been nearly twice as much w/out that deal!

Unknown said...

I have never been to the Creek Bistro! It's on my list of places to try in Reg!

Unknown said...

Also....I would love to go to a foodie estival. What a way to spend a weekend!

Amanda said...

Andy and I didn't end up going either. We're an 8 hour car drive away but it was still a lot of money for us to go. In the end we stayed home and plan on trying for next year.