Monday, January 21, 2013

25 Food Trends for 2013

Bon Appetit magazine did an article on 25 Food Trends for 2013.  You could read the whole article here, but I've also summarized the trends below with my comments.

1)  The Paloma - this is a cocktail made with tequila and grapefruit-flavoured soda.  Ummm, yes please.  My love for grapefruit is well documented.

2)  Beet Juice - it's potent, but I love this stuff.  Beets are one of my favourite things to juice (next to grapefruits).

3)  Duck Eggs - I've never tried duck egg that I am aware of, but I suppose I'd give it a shot.  I like duck, and I like eggs.  Hmmmm.

4)  Cameras better suited to food photography - I like my cameras, but I am still learning how to use them.  What would really help the pics is some sunshine!  Bring on Spring!

5)  Kitchen Collaborations (musicians with coffee roasters, etc.) - Cool!  I am looking forward to seeing new products, etc..  As much as it pains me to admit this - Ed Hardy wine is actually quite good.

6)  Chicken to move in on the steak house - This is fine by me.  I'd be okay if I never ate another steak.

7)  Burmese Food - I have been lucky enough to enjoy Burmese food cooked by many Burmese women that live in my city, and it is to-die-for. 

8)  Food Documentaries - YES!!  I love food documentaries and have seen all the ones I've come across.

9)  Homemade Yogurt - Hmmm, perhaps.

10)  The Cemita sandwich (pork, chipotle puree, avacado, Oaxacan cheese, bun) - Mmm, hook me up!

11)  "How to Boil an Egg" cookbook - will it teach me to make an omelet?

12)  Opportunities to have hang time with chefs

13)  Gochujang (sriracha's new compitition) - Haha YES!  I love this list.  Gochujang rules!  My fridge and my belly would be very sad without it.

14)  Fernet Branca (an Italian digestive drink) - I'd give it a shot.  Hehe, puns.

15)  Fresh Horseradish - Well Christopher and I both love horseradish, so if we can find this stuff, I'm sure it will make an appearance on Everyday Foodie.

16)  Milling Flour - Haven't done this before, but I did buy the dry attachment for the Vita-Mix and it can grind flour.

17)  Eddie Huang - How come I've never heard of this guy!?  Have you?

18)  Tea - I love tea.  I thought it was already trendy.  My buddy Matt has been blogging about it for years.

19)  Stove-top Smokers - Hmmm, maybe.

20)  Dungeness Crab - Are these the hairy crabs that the serve at The Keg?  If so, I'm out.

21)  Bread as it's own course - Ha, isn't it already!?  ;-)  I would be happy if it was it's own meal.

22)  Indie Food Mags - pass.

23)  Blondies (are the new brownie) - I still haven't tried a blondie. 

24)  Sodastream Booze - I think those soda stream things are overrated and doubt I will ever buy one ... but did someone say booze?  Hmmm, this just got a lot more interesting.

25)  5 Restaurants to Watch (The Ordinary, Charleston; Animal, Los Angeles, Alder, NYC; Qui, Austin; Grace, Chicago) - Allysia, perhaps you can check out Qui and let us know what you think? ;-) 

And I'll leave you with a picture ...


Dinner last night was lobsta and rice!  I topped my rice with kimchi and gochujang (see # 13 above).

11 comments:

suki said...

#14 - Fernet is popular in San Francisco's North Beach area! :)

Simply Life said...

what an interesting list! I do love the food documentaries!

Lisa from Lisa's Yarns said...

Well it is interesting to see what the trends will be. I am curious about the homemade yogurt!

Kacy said...

I would try a duck egg too. I love trying new things.
I also think I already have a cookbook called How to Boil an Egg, haha. I got it when I was leaving for college.

DessertForTwo said...

I loved reading this!

Every year, I read these lists and I feel like I already knew that was trendy. I'm not sure if these trend lists are a year behind or what, but we've been doing homemade yogurt, gourmet ramen, etc for >1 year.

PS Do you like sparkling water? I have a sodastream and I LOVE it. I've never made soda with it--only flavored sparkling waters.

Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

Yes, I do like sparkling water - never thought about that!

challenges2010 said...

That's a list that will remain mainly untouched for me in 2013. I've had one steak in the last year....like them but I prefer a lot of other things first.

Why am I here??? said...

Congrats on your blog award. Although this one is just in the community I've nominated you for it: http://jennipal.blogspot.ca/2013/01/liebster-award.html

Alli said...

If you make Blondies (and you should, they're awesome)I highly recommend the Mark Bittman recipe from How To Cook Everything which can be found online here http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2006/11/blondies-for-a-blondie/

Allysia said...

Grapefruit are the best ever...it's so cool to be able to buy them local here in Austin! And in response to #6, I'm still waiting on (good!) tofu steaks, ha ha. :) Food documentaries rock, I have a bunch to catch up on. And I'm so glad that gochujang got a shoutout! I haven't tried a blondie either, what the hell! We should make them. :)

Allysia said...

Oh and to answer the other thing, it looks like Qui is opening in the spring, so I'll keep my eyes and ears out! I hear it's a chef from Uchi, which is apparently really awesome.